Libraries occupy a place of prime importance in the cultural life of the city, the first public library in Craiova was founded in 1840. Particularly valuable are the current landscape Craiova County Library "Alexander Aristia Aman, University Library, which houses the French Library and the Library of the German" Omnia ".
After World War I, from the style continues to struggle to assert national elements in art. In this period, Craiova builds so-called White House (on one side of garden plants - English Park - built in the style of a London square), after the plans of architect Constantin Iotz.
A special place is occupied by old buildings between the Church of Saint Demetrius, built by Matei Basarab in 1652. Over time, however, men were changed church: Constantin Brancoveanu restore the windows borders Brancoveanu style, Constantine Obedeanu a restored in 1723 and Argetoieni boyars in 1774. The earthquake damage in 1840 and the church is closed until 1889, when restoration work began under the leadership of architect Andre Lecomte Nouy, which currently building up from scratch, without observing the old style. Painting has worked in three stages by French painters Emil Menpiot and Bories, ending in 1933. Church of Saint Dumitru is positioned near the National College Buzesti Brothers ", near the Romanian Post.
The house money is today the oldest existing building in the city, dating from 1699, according to historians of art appreciation, she kept an old one, of the fifteenth century, built by Barbu Craiovescu. Rebuilt by Constantin Brancoveanu Bania house has two levels with rooms on the ground floor brick vaults, with rooms and balcony upstairs. It was handcrafted by artisans architects of the prince, in a popular style. Here are gathering Craiova divan, and during the Austrian administration was the residence of the rulers. Subsequently, the building was successively: Murtaza Pasha district (1737-1739), private residence of the bishop, the local first school in Craiova (1750), local courts, local school gymnasium "Buzesti Brothers" (1896-1914) normal school and teacher, place the Museum of Oltenia (1934-1948) and Ethnography (1967).
Vorvorenilor House - the current headquarters of the Metropolitan of Oltenia - is an issue of monumental palace, conducted by D. Maimarolu architectural plans, he shows more influence of the late French Renaissance, characterized by the mansard roofs, ornaments and many, richly decorated interior.
An illustration of this style in Craiova is the Jean Mihail Palace (now the Art Museum), built between 1899-1907 by French architect Paul Gottereau at the request of Michael Constantine - one of Romania's richest people of those times. The palace was intended for private housing. The building used to have the best quality materials. Valuable stucco, partly gilded, skylights, Venetian mirrors, painted ceilings, Murano crystal chandeliers, columns, Carrara marble staircases, silk upholstered walls Lyon, paneling, furniture style, hardware ... all gave the rooms a air of elegance and refined taste. The palace was covered with slate and has started the electrical installation and central heating. Michael Constantine died in 1908, and will return to the palace youngest son, Jean Michael.
Cinema broke early in Craiova. It is characteristic that only two years after the first representation of world cinema, made by the Lumiere brothers in Paris, in Craiova video shows short films. Curiosity turns to interest and passion for new art, so that in 1915 there were already five city cinemas. Craiova world cinema gave more authentic talent who have become genuine superstars: Jenny Holt (Catherine Vladescu Australia), Polla Illery (Paula Iliescu) at Porta Elisa (Eliza Stranger), director Jean Negulesco (which prevails in the world of Hollywood site).
Cultural institutions with an old tradition in Craiova: National Theatre (which occurs in 1850 and currently enjoys an outstanding international reputation), Puppet Theatre (1956), State Philharmonic "Oltenia" (founded in 1947, hosted renowned national and international festivals), Lyric Theatre (1972, 1996 became Opera and Operetta "Elena Theodorini). Among the achievements of contemporary new building has to mention the National Theater, which opened in 1973. Not that it has completed, the architect Al. Iotzu (Iotzu Constantine's son), this work himself to a contemporary magazine interview (15/11/1972): "... the new building in Craiova is designed so that you can adjust depending on the stage and hall installing the show in one of three ways (elisabethan, Italian and arena); between massive buildings around the theater in their own way through long horizontal, followed by a paviament and then park - what is required in contrast to the atmosphere .. .; building volume with all the fullness is a modular, creating and iesinduri inlets and flat surfaces on this volume is sculptural accents dressed entirely in yellow and white travertine ... ... Stage Theater is equipped with unusually stretched (over 40 meters depth). " This magnificent edifice is the pride of Craiova and the Romanian theater in general.
Achieving the former Palace of Justice (now the headquarters of the University) was designed in 1890 by architect John Socolescu. The building is an illustration of neoclassicism in architecture.
Botanical Garden botanist was arranged at the initiative of Al. Buia, in order to serve as the basis of study for students of faculties of agronomy and horticulture, but also as a recreational area. The garden has an area of 17 hectares and is bordered on distinct sectors: ornamental (about 4.5 ha), systematic, world flora, economical.
Another exciting area is the tourist crop and Meadow Jiu-forest park spread over an area of 60 hectares, on the left bank of the river Jiu.
One of the most famous attractions is the park in Craiova "Romanescu. This park is unique in Romania and is also one of the achievements of its kind in Europe most interesting. This important initiative goes to urban works Romanescu. The project, created by French architect E. Redont, was awarded the Gold Medal at the Paris International Exhibition in 1900. The work took nearly three years. Bold solutions were used for construction, unusual for that time, were implanted valuable species of trees, we aimed to create a picturesque setting romantic and generous with his poetry (suspension bridge, the ruined castle, bridges over the river, imitation rocks , shelters, gazebos, fences, bridge, imitating trunks of trees, swans island, jetty). Total area of the park covers over 96 ha of plantations (stands, lawns, trees, shrubs), a 4-hectare expanse of water, a racecourse over 20 hectares, roads, lanes and paths on a stretch of 35 km. There is also a zoo, where they can be seen especially indigenous species of birds and animals, but not only that ...
Another great building is the former Bank of Commerce, now the City Hall of Craiova. Designed by architect Ion Mincu is completed in 1916 by Constantin Iotzu student. The building has a rich interior decorated with stucco, vitrouri, Venetian mosaics and wrought iron grills.
An interesting building, vigorous, popular with architectural character, is the former Administrative Palace, now the headquarters of the Prefecture and County Council County. Opera of the architect Petre Antonescu, the building was built between 1912-1913.
Although Craiova has received a great number of art collectors, museum first settlement dates from 1908. Today you can visit art exhibitions, history and archeology, ethnography, natural sciences.
Information from papers:
• History of Craiova - Romanian Ed.Scrisul, 1977
• Craiova - 500 years - the original album
• Art Museum of Craiova. Paul Rezeanu, Ed Romanian Writing
• History of the National Theatre of Craiova. Collectively, Ed Romanian Writing